Through a combination of stable technology, attractive pricing, and adaptable support and services, Hetzner Online has been able to consistently strengthen its market position both domestically and globally. Several data stations are owned by the corporation in Germany and Finland. We will talk about the pricing, setup, and a critical look at their service in this Hetzner VPS review. Read on.
Hetzner offers a variety of hosting options, including shared hosting and self-managed servers, as well as colocation and dedicated server renting. There’s even a dedicated account manager and technical staff included with a custom hosting package. The website is currently only available in English.
Hetzner Online is constantly working to improve the price-to-performance ratios of our products. By collaborating with reputable tool and software makers, we ensure that our deliverables meet the highest standards of excellence. Customers can reach out to our conditional data center practitioners 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
As a result, I prefer to know what I’m going to pay upfront and have spent considerable time experimenting with various providers, including Droplets and blah blah.
I did, however, come upon a German firm named Hetzner recently. They offered incredible value for what they offered, so I gave them a try and was not disappointed. Very user-friendly UI, excellent customer service, and is one of the most affordable solutions I’ve discovered.
I use them for both VPS and Dedicated Servers since they offer a very reasonable auction for dedicated ‘root’ servers. Thus, let us begin by knowing its specialization and then how to configure your Hetzner VPS, and then slowly knowing about its pricing, features, and support.
Hetzner’s services and their unique characteristics
Domain- Hetzner has the largest domain registration, which will provide you with a powerful domain name at an affordable price.
When it comes to creating a website, the first thing you must do is get a hosting service for your domain name. And here Hetzner presents us with four shared hosting plans that include the most advanced features.
Dedicated Servers– There are numerous dedicated server plans available, and each plan is classified as Dedicated server EX with seven options, Dedicated server–PX with eight options, Dedicated server–SX with three options, and also Dell Power Edge.
Virtual Private Servers– This service offers five different plans, each with additional features such as memory space and compatibility with any operating system such as Windows or Linux.
Colocation– Another service that Hetzner provides is colocation, which is followed by three distinct racks with climate control (Air Cooled technology included)
How to Create Your Account
To get started, you will need to navigate to Hetzner.com/cloud and scroll down to find the different VPS plans.
Comparison of Hetzner Cloud VPS Pricing
You’ll notice that both monthly and hourly pricing choices are available. You are not obligated to sign a month-to-month contract. You can create and delete VPSs as frequently as you like and will only be charged for the time period during which they are generated. (This includes times when it is shut down.)
The Signup Process of Hetzner
After clicking on the desired VPS, you will be directed to a login/signup page.
To continue, click the ‘Register Now’ option at the bottom. After that, you’ll be prompted to provide an email address and establish a password. Please confirm that you have access to this email address, as it will be used to send validation emails. The emails, according to my experience, went into my Spam/Junk folders, so make sure to check there!
- Create an account by entering your email address and creating a password.
- You will next be prompted to input your billing information.
- After completing this step, you should receive an email from Hetzner confirming the creation of your account.
- In some instances, depending on your location, you may be required to present confirmation of identity.
- This is as simple as responding to the email with a copy of your Driver’s License or Passport ID. It is then verified and destroyed promptly from their systems.
- When I completed this process, it took roughly 15 minutes.
- After creating an account and logging in, you will see your ‘Projects’ screen.
- This is merely a technique to categorize VPSs according to their popular purposes or projects.
- Therefore, simply start a project and name it.
Screen for VPS Projects
As you can see, I’m currently working on two projects. The Virtual Classroom, which contains two VPSs, and the Home Lab, which I constructed specifically for this instruction.
Creating a VPS Server on Hetzner
When you navigate to your Home Lab project, or whatever you’ve named it, you’ll notice a button labeled ‘Add a Server’.
It is now simply a matter of looking at each option and selecting the one that fits your needs the best.
Select your preferences
- They offer numerous preinstalled Linux distributions.
- Therefore, if you select Ubuntu, click on the small drop-down arrow next to the version number to view different versions of that operating system that you may wish to use.
- Following that, we select our ‘hardware.’
- This is where you select the number of virtual CPUs, RAM, and HDD Storage you desire and the associated expenses.
- If you require additional storage capacity, you may purchase a Storage Volume below.
Select your ‘hardware’.
- Following that, you can add a Storage Volume, a private network, and other features such as backups.
- All of these will incur additional costs.
- Additionally, you can upload your SSH key to use instead of a username/password to log into your system.
- This is more secure and Hetzner recommends it, but it is not essential.
- Finally, you can give your VPS a name.
- I strongly recommend this, merely to ensure that you understand what each VPS is doing if you intend to have numerous.
- Then simply select the quantity of VPSs with this setup you require and click ‘Create & Buy Now’!
- Then we wait a few seconds and everything will be operational!
Create & Purchase!
You will then be emailed by Hetzner (check your junk/spam folder) containing the root user name and password for your public IP address.
Your new virtual private server
You now need to copy the IP address, open an SSH terminal, and log into your box using the credentials we provided!
The Final Stages
When you SSH into your VPS for the first time with the default password, you will be requested to change it. This assumes you did not upload your SSH keys during the creation process. Simply re-enter your default password, then select a new STRONG password and re-enter it to validate, and you’re done!
After you are done knowing in detail how to add VPS Server in Hetzner, let’s discuss its customer support and pricing.
Hetzner Customer Support
Hetzner has a quite comprehensive knowledge base, and I had no difficulty utilizing it to locate information on the nameservers when linking my domain name. Additionally, it features a robust help center, which includes 17 articles on its own konsoleH control panel.
I had to contact Hetzner a few times, and each time, the team was polite and friendly, providing me with all of the information I required. My initial query received a response within ten minutes, whereas my second and third searches took many hours to receive responses.
That’s not terrible, and I’ve encountered instances when businesses waited days to answer, but the prompt responses were outweighed by the absence of live chat functionality (which, in my opinion, is a necessity)
Mode of Payments– Payments for the plans can be made by bank transfer or credit card.
You can also select your method of payment annually at Hetzner.
Cancellation program– During the 30-day cancellation period, if you are unhappy with the service, you can still cancel it.
Hetzner VPS Pros
- Various hosting packages and services are available
- Some of their packages include cPanel and Plesk
- Software and hardware in all packages are up-to-date
- The lower-priced models have great monthly bandwidth (30TB/month)
- Speedy downloads
Hetzner VPS Cons
- It’s a pity about the control panel
- Fees for setup
- Knowledgebase for the web
- Customer service that isn’t complete
- There is a lot of German in their documents and wiki
Also, Read more reviews
- Contabo Review + Free Trial Offer & Tutorial
My Verdict – Hetzner VPS Review
With its wide range of hosting products and commitment to the environment, Hettner is a reputable and reliable web hosting provider. Having a customer base in Germany or Finland might make Hetzner a good choice for an online business looking for a feature-rich solution.
I hope this has aided you in setting up your new Hetzner VPS server. It’s a really simple process, but if, like me, you prefer to see before you buy, hopefully, this has demonstrated that process to you.